- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's Greek Islands
Old University complex
Old University complex Review
In the sea of concrete that is central Athens, this imposing group of marble buildings conjures up an illusion of classical antiquity. The three dramatic buildings belonging to the University of Athens were designed by the Hansen brothers in the period after independence in the 19th century and are built of white Pendelic marble, with tall columns and decorative friezes. In the center is the Senate House of the university. To the right is the Academy, flanked by two slim columns topped by statues of Athena and Apollo; paid for by the Austro-Greek Baron Sina, it is a copy of the Parliament in Vienna. Frescoes in the reception hall depict the myth of Prometheus. At the left end of the complex is a griffin-flanked staircase leading to the National Library, containing more than 2 million Greek and foreign-language volumes and now undergoing the daunting task of modernization. The University complex, as well as Syntagma Square, often serves as the meeting point for protest groups before their marches through the city center, so don't be surprised if city traffic come to a halt when marchers stride by (during certain times of the year, there are at least one or two marches a week, much to the chagrin of Athenians).
- Address: Panepistimiou between Ippokratous and Sina, Central Athens, Athens, 10679
- Phone: 210/368–9765 Senate; 210/366–4700 Academy; 210/360–8185 Library
- Hours: Senate and Academy weekdays 9–2; library Sept.–July, Mon.–Thurs. 9–8, Fri. 9–2
- Website: www.nlg.gr
- Metro Panepistimiou.
- Location: From Central Athens to National Archaeological Museum
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
My film "I Follow Apollo” presents the highlights of Greece, including Athens, Olympia, Meteora, Sparta, the Byzantine Empire, and a cruise to the islands of Mykonos, Santorini, Crete, & Rhodes, Read more
Greek Islands in November on Constelation, weather great, should have been memorable for good things.
After sailing on Infiniti last year and really enjoying it we booked this cruise, would have though Read more
· News & Features
Ask around and most people will tell you to spend as short a layover as possible in Athens before booking ... Read more
With the Aegean Sea as its backdrop, Greece serves a heavy hand of magical Mediterranean living.... Read more
A week in the Greek isles?... Read more