- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's Greek Islands
Melina Mercouri Cultural Center
Melina Mercouri Cultural Center Review
Named in honor of the famous Never on Sunday Greek actress who became a political figure in the 1980s, this center is installed in the former Poulopoulos hat factory built in 1886. Throughout the year the center has a calendar of temporary exhibitions, usually featuring contemporary Greek art. But the permanent collection includes some delightful surprises. Several rooms give a rare glimpse of Athens during the 19th century. You can walk through a reconstructed Athens street with facades of Neoclassic homes that evoke the civilized elegance of the past, along with a pharmacy, printing press, dry goods store, kafeneio (coffeehouse), and dress shop, all painstakingly fitted out with authentic objects collected by the Greek Literary and Historical Archives. The other permanent exhibition showcases the puppets of the traditional Greek shadow theater, thanks to a vast collection amassed by the Haridimos performing family.
- Address: Iraklidon 66a, at Thessalonikis Thission, Athens, 11851
- Phone: 210/345–2150
- Cost: Free
- Hours: Tues.–Sat. 9–1 and 5–9, Sun. 9–1
- Metro Kerameikos.
- Location: The Ancient Agora, Monastiraki, and Thission
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
My film "I Follow Apollo” presents the highlights of Greece, including Athens, Olympia, Meteora, Sparta, the Byzantine Empire, and a cruise to the islands of Mykonos, Santorini, Crete, & Rhodes, Read more
Greek Islands in November on Constelation, weather great, should have been memorable for good things.
After sailing on Infiniti last year and really enjoying it we booked this cruise, would have though Read more
Hi all- I am a 26 year old female (unmarried, no kids) who frequents Greece (usually islands) just about every summer and I am looking for a new island to visit this September (first week of sept). Read more
· News & Features
Ask around and most people will tell you to spend as short a layover as possible in Athens before booking ... Read more
With the Aegean Sea as its backdrop, Greece serves a heavy hand of magical Mediterranean living.... Read more
A week in the Greek isles?... Read more