- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
It's the savvy local's treasured secret. Through the years, everyone in Omonia has come here for lunch—butchers from the Central Market, suit-clad businessmen and lawyers, artists, migrants, and even bejeweled ladies who lunch (and they're often sitting at the same tables when it gets crowded). Owner-chef Barba Mitsos keeps everyone happy with his handful of simple, delicious, and dirt-cheap homemade dishes. There's always an exceptional horiatiki (Greek salad), sometimes studded with fiery-hot green pepperoncini; other favorites are his buttery gigantes (large, buttery white beans cooked in tomato sauce), vrasto (boiled goat, pork, or beef with vegetables), and fried finger-size fish. Wine is drawn directly from the barrels lining the walls. As for decor, the feeling is authentic '50s Athens. There is no sign on the door: just walk down the staircase of this corner neoclassical building.
- Address: Socratous 9, Platia Theatrou Central Market, Athens, 10552
- Phone: 210 3211463
- Location: Central Athens, Psirri and Omonia Square
- No credit cards.
- No dinner.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
A month in Chios, Lesvos and Samos (coming in from Turkey this time) in October 2013
September October 2013 – travels in the eastern Aegean…
Back to Greece again – it’s becoming Read more
For anyone planning/ considering a Greek island cruise, especially if they're not “cruisers”, I’m posting this report. Read more
While this topic involves choosing a cruise itinerary, my question isn/'t about the ships but about the European destinations. Read more
· News & Features
Ask around and most people will tell you to spend as short a layover as possible in Athens before booking... Read more
With the Aegean Sea as its backdrop, Greece serves a heavy hand of magical Mediterranean living.... Read more
A week in the Greek isles?... Read more