- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
It's the savvy local's treasured secret. Through the years, everyone in Omonia has come here for lunch—butchers from the Central Market, suit-clad businessmen and lawyers, artists, migrants, and even bejeweled ladies who lunch (and they're often sitting at the same tables when it gets crowded). Owner-chef Barba Mitsos keeps everyone happy with his handful of simple, delicious, and dirt-cheap homemade dishes. There's always an exceptional horiatiki (Greek salad), sometimes studded with fiery-hot green pepperoncini; other favorites are his buttery gigantes (large, buttery white beans cooked in tomato sauce), vrasto (boiled goat, pork, or beef with vegetables), and fried finger-size fish. Wine is drawn directly from the barrels lining the walls. As for decor, the feeling is authentic '50s Athens. There is no sign on the door: just walk down the staircase of this corner neoclassical building.
- Address: Socratous 9, Platia TheatrouCentral Market, Athens, 10552
- Phone: 210 3211463
- Location: Central Athens, Psirri and Omonia Square
- No credit cards.
- No dinner.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $499 & up -- Transatlantic Cruises to Europe, Save $100 Norwegian Cruise Line
- $499 & up -- 6-Night Mediterranean Island Cruise on Princess — $499 American Express Travel
My husband, one daughter, and I arrived in Athens for a long weekend in the middle of the night. Read more
We had a fantastic trip to Cyprus, Rome and Athens, thanks in large part to the wonderful advice I received from Fodorites. Read more
Hello can anyone please help me figure out how to get from Mykonos to Athens? Read more
· News & Features
Author and Greek culinary guru Henriette Lazaridis Power peels back the curtain on some of the best Greek ... Read more
Honeymoons are the chance to take the adventure of a lifetime.... Read more
These hotels have a problem with commitment.... Read more