- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's Greek Islands
It's the savvy local's treasured secret. Through the years, everyone wandering around Omonia Square has come here for lunch—butchers from the Central Market, suit-clad businessmen and lawyers, artists, migrants, and even bejeweled ladies who lunch (and they're often sitting at the same tables when it gets crowded). Owner-chef Barba Mitsos keeps everyone happy with his handful of simple, delicious, and dirt-cheap homemade dishes. There's always an exceptional horiatiki (Greek salad), sometimes studded with fiery-hot green pepperoncini; other favorites are his buttery gigantes (large, buttery white beans cooked in tomato sauce), vrasto (boiled goat, pork, or beef with vegetables), and fried finger-size fish. Wine is drawn directly from the barrels lining the walls. As for decor, the feeling is authentic '50s Athens. There is no sign on the door: just walk down the staircase of this corner neoclassical building.
- Address: Socratous 9, Platia Theatrou Central Market, Athens, 10552
- Phone: 210/321–1463
- Location: Central Athens, Psirri, and Omonia Square
- No credit cards.
- No dinner. Closed Sun.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
My film "I Follow Apollo” presents the highlights of Greece, including Athens, Olympia, Meteora, Sparta, the Byzantine Empire, and a cruise to the islands of Mykonos, Santorini, Crete, & Rhodes, Read more
Greek Islands in November on Constelation, weather great, should have been memorable for good things.
After sailing on Infiniti last year and really enjoying it we booked this cruise, would have though Read more
· News & Features
Ask around and most people will tell you to spend as short a layover as possible in Athens before booking... Read more
With the Aegean Sea as its backdrop, Greece serves a heavy hand of magical Mediterranean living.... Read more
A week in the Greek isles?... Read more