- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's Greek Islands
It's the savvy local's treasured secret. Through the years, everyone wandering around Omonia Square has come here for lunch—butchers from the Central Market, suit-clad businessmen and lawyers, artists, migrants, and even bejeweled ladies who lunch (and they're often sitting at the same tables when it gets crowded). Owner-chef Barba Mitsos keeps everyone happy with his handful of simple, delicious, and dirt-cheap homemade dishes. There's always an exceptional horiatiki (Greek salad), sometimes studded with fiery-hot green pepperoncini; other favorites are his buttery gigantes (large, buttery white beans cooked in tomato sauce), vrasto (boiled goat, pork, or beef with vegetables), and fried finger-size fish. Wine is drawn directly from the barrels lining the walls. As for decor, the feeling is authentic '50s Athens. There is no sign on the door: just walk down the staircase of this corner neoclassical building.
- Address: Socratous 9, Platia Theatrou Central Market, Athens, 10552
- Phone: 210/321–1463
- Location: Central Athens, Psirri, and Omonia Square
- No credit cards.
- No dinner. Closed Sun.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
I want to thank those who tried to help me with my search for a Greek island and let you know it wasn’t a waste of time. Read more
My film "I Follow Apollo” presents the highlights of Greece, including Athens, Olympia, Meteora, Sparta, the Byzantine Empire, and a cruise to the islands of Mykonos, Santorini, Crete, & Rhodes, Read more
I am trying to plan a trip to Greece with a stop in Turkey and Italy- I am going May12 landing in Athens May 13,2014 and returning to USA June 2,2014. Read more
· News & Features
Ask around and most people will tell you to spend as short a layover as possible in Athens before booking ... Read more
With the Aegean Sea as its backdrop, Greece serves a heavy hand of magical Mediterranean living.... Read more
A week in the Greek isles?... Read more