- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go to Athens
The Acropolis: An ancient beacon of bygone glory rising above Athens's smog, this iconic citadel represents everything the Athenians were and still aspire to be.
Evzones on Syntagma Square: Unmistakable in tasseled hats and pom-pom shoes, they act out a traditional changing of the guard that falls somewhere between discipline and comedy.
The Ancient Agora and Monastiraki: Socrates and Plato once discoursed—and scored excellent deals on figs—at the Agora, and today you can do the same at the nearby Monastiraki marketplace.
Opa!: Whether jamming to post-grunge in Gazi—Athens's Greenwich Village—or dirty dancing on the tables at live bouzouki clubs, the Athenians party like no one else.
Benaki Bounty: Housed in a neoclassic mansion, the Benaki Museum—Greece's oldest private collection—has everything from ancient sculpture to modern art.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe