Eurailpasses and German Rail Passes are honored by KD Rhine Line on the Rhine River and on the Mosel River between Trier and Koblenz. (If you use the fast hydrofoil, a supplementary fee is required.) The rail lines follow the Rhine and Mosel rivers most of their length, meaning you can go one way by ship and return by train. Cruises generally operate between April and October. If you are planning to visit Denmark or Sweden after Germany, note that Scandlines ferries offer discounts for Eurailpass owners.
The MS Duchess of Scandinavia carries passengers and cars three times a week for the 19½-hour run between Cuxhaven, Germany, and Harwich, England.
KD Rhine Line (0221/208-8318. www.k-d.com.)
MS Duchess of Scandinavia (08705/333-111 DFDS Seaways in U.K.; 040/389-0371 in Germany. www.dfdsseaways.co.uk.)
Scandlines (0381/54350. www.scandlines.de.)
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Northern Germany Experience IExplore
- Gems of Germany North IExplore
- Southern Germany Experience — $4,104 IExplore
- Gems of Germany South — $17,215 IExplore
- Gems of Germany North — $22,075 IExplore