A stone bridge—Germany's first—built in 1120 once stood on this site, over the Main River. That ancient structure was restored beginning in 1476. Twin rows of graceful statues of saints now line the bridge. They were placed here in 1730, at the height of Würzburg's baroque period, and were largely destroyed in 1945, but have been lovingly restored since then. Note the Patronna Franconiae (commonly known as the Weeping Madonna). There's a beautiful view of the Marienberg Fortress from the bridge.