- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Schloss Hohenschwangau Review
Built by the knights of Schwangau in the 12th century, this castle was remodeled later by King Ludwig II's father, the Bavarian crown prince (and later king) Maximilian, between 1832 and 1836. Unlike Ludwig's more famous castle across the valley, Neuschwanstein, the somewhat garishly yellow Schloss Hohenschwangau has the feeling of a noble home, where comforts would be valued as much as outward splendor. It was here that the young Ludwig met the composer Richard Wagner. Their friendship shaped and deepened the future king's interest in theater, music, and German mythology—the mythology Wagner drew upon for his Ring cycle of operas.
After obtaining your ticket at the ticket center in the village, you can take a 25-minute walk up either of two clearly marked paths to the castle, or board one of the horse-drawn carriages that leave from the ticket center (uphill €4, downhill €2) or the Hotel Müller (uphill €6, downhill €3).
- Address: Alpseestr. 12, Hohenschwangau, 87645
- Phone: 08362/930-830
- Cost: €10.50, including guided tour; combined ticket for Hohenschwangau and Neuschwanstein €21.50
- Hours: Apr.--Sept., daily 8--5:30; Oct.--Mar., daily 9--3:30
- Website: www.hohenschwangau.de
- Location: Hohenschwangau and Neuschwanstein
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book 4.5-Star Dorint An der Kongresshalle Augsburg Fr $156+/Nt Expedia
- Special deal: 3.5-Star Augusta Fr $149+/Nt Expedia
- Book in Augsburg: Save this May Fr $99+/Nt — $99 Expedia
Above is a blog that I hope will be entertaining and helpful to anyone who might be interested in backpacking across the continent. This is specifically for anyone who's Read more
We just returned from a relatively quick eight-day holiday break to Berlin, Dresden and Prague and are trying to get going on a trip report while things are still fresh in mind.
I’ve Read more
My boyfriend and I are both wanting to plan a backpacking trip to Europe i want to spend some time everywhere and see everything. Read more
· News & Features
Memorial Day is the unofficial start of what we like to call "weekend getaway season." ... Read more
Wineries have a very obvious main draw.... Read more
The Aran Islands (Inishmore, Inishmaan, and Inisheer) are three small, but adventure-packed islands o... Read more