The Romantic Road Sights

Advertisement

Stuppacher Madonna

Stuppacher Madonna Review

The Pfarrkirche Mariä Krönung chapel guards one of the great Renaissance German paintings, the Stuppacher Madonna, by Matthias Grünewald (circa 1475–1528). It was only in 1908 that experts finally recognized it as the work of Grünewald; repainting in the 17th century had turned it into an unexceptional work. Though Grünewald was familiar with the developments in perspective and natural lighting of Italian Renaissance painting, his work remained resolutely anti-Renaissance in spirit: tortured, emotional, and dark. The chapel is in the village of Stuppach, 11 km (7 mi) southeast of Bad Mergentheim/

Updated: 11-18-2013

Fodorite Reviews

Be the first to review this property

Advertisement

· Map of Stuppacher Madonna

Map of



Travel Deals
Forums