- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Sports and the Outdoors
Nördlingen Ries. Ever cycled around a huge meteor crater? You can do just that in the Nördlingen Ries, the depression left by an asteroid that hit the area 14.5 million years ago. This impact crater is a designated national geopark and the best preserved impact crater in all of Europe.
Nördlingen tourist office. The Nördlingen tourist office has a list of 10 recommended bike routes, including one 47-km (29-mi) trail around the northern part of the meteor crater. Marktplatz 2, Nördlingen, 86720. 09081/84116. www.noerdlingen.de.
Zweirad Müller. Rent a bike from this company to explore the Ries. Gewerbestr. 16, Nördlingen, 86720. 09081/5675. www.zweiradcenter-mueller.de.
Rieser Flugsportverein. For a spectacular view of the town and Ries crater, contact the local flying club, the Rieser Flugsportverein, for a ride in a light aircraft. The website is in German, but English flying tours and pilots are both available. 09081/4099. www.flugplatz-noerdlingen.de.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe