- Neuschwanstein Emerald lakes, the pastoral countryside, and the rugged peaks of the Alps surround what's become the most famous storybook castle in the world.
- Rothenburg-ob-der-Tauber The Middle Ages never looked so good as in this quaint walled village. If you stay overnight, you can patrol the city walls with the night watchman after the tour buses have left town.
- Wieskirche Join the local Bavarians who flock to this pilgrimage church, a rococo gem in pristine Alpine fields.
- Ulm's Münster Work off all that hearty Swabian cuisine with a climb up the 768 steps of this church's tower, the highest of its kind in the world.
- Würzburg’s Residenz Explore the gilt and crystal splendor of this lavish palace, once the home of prince-bishops.
Need a break from the big city? View 42-hour itineraries from 13 cities.More