- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
You can circumnavigate the town with the narrated tours of the Römer-Express trolley or a tourist office bus. Both cost €7 and depart from Porta Nigra, near the tourist office. There is also a "hop on, hop off" bus. A 24-hour ticket on it costs €10.
There are also toga tours every Saturday at 12:30 May through October, in which actors dressed in Roman costume bring the history of the amphitheater, the Kaiserthermen, and the old town gate to life. A tour lasts two hours and costs €9. Reservations are essential. If you don't speak German, speak up! The tour guide and/or someone else in the group probably speak some English and will translate the basic points. The tourist office sells tickets for all tours and also leads various walks. A tour in English (€7.50) departs Saturday, May through October, at 1:30.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe