- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
By 400 BC a Celtic tribe, the Treveri, had settled the Trier Valley. Eventually Julius Caesar's legions arrived at this strategic point on the river, and Augusta Treverorum (the town of Emperor Augustus in the land of the Treveri) was founded in 16 BC. It was described as a most opulent city, as beautiful as any outside Rome.
Around AD 275 an Alemannic tribe stormed Augusta Treverorum and reduced it to rubble. But it was rebuilt in even grander style and renamed Treveris. Eventually it evolved into one of the leading cities of the empire, and was promoted to "Roma secunda" (a second Rome) north of the Alps. As a powerful administrative capital it was adorned with all the noble civic buildings of a major Roman settlement, as well as public baths, palaces, barracks, an amphitheater, and temples. The Roman emperors Diocletian (who made it one of the four joint capitals of the empire) and Constantine both lived in Trier for years at a time.
Trier survived the collapse of Rome and became an important center of Christianity and, ultimately, one of the most powerful archbishoprics in the Holy Roman Empire. The city thrived throughout the Renaissance and baroque periods, taking full advantage of its location at the meeting point of major east-west and north-south trade routes and growing fat on the commerce that passed through.
Trier at a Glance
- Dom (Cathedral)
- Kaiserthermen (Imperial Baths)
- Konstantin Basilika (Constantine Basilica)
- Museum am Dom Trier (Museum at the Trier Cathedral)
Elsewhere in The Rhineland
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Park Inn by Radisson Duesseldorf Sud in May: $79 & Up Expedia
- 4.5-Star Mercure Duesseldorf City Center Fr $108+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $20/night less
- Journey on Uniworld Boutique Cruises to Cologne: 7 Nts Fr $2,539 Expedia
- Super Low D?sseldorf Rate: Book Fr $299+/Nt — $299 Save with Hotels.com, $33/night less
- Journey on Uniworld Boutique Cruises to Cologne: 7 Nts Fr $2,539 — $2,539 Expedia