The Rhineland Sights

Advertisement

Mäuseturm (Mouse Tower)

Mäuseturm (Mouse Tower) Review

On the 5-km (3-mi) drive on B-9 to Trechtingshausen you will pass by Bingen's landmark, the Mäuseturm, perched on a rocky island near the Binger Loch. The name derives from a gruesome legend. One version tells that during a famine in 969 the miserly Archbishop Hatto hoarded grain and sought refuge in the tower to escape the peasants' pleas for food. The stockpile attracted scads of mice to the tower, where they devoured everything in sight, including Hatto. In fact, the tower was built by the archbishops of Mainz in the 13th and 14th centuries as a Mautturm (watch tower and toll station) for their fortress, Ehrenfels, on the opposite shore (now a ruin). It was restored in neo-Gothic style by the king of Prussia in 1855, who also rebuilt Burg Sooneck.

    Contact Information

  • Address: Mäuseturminsel, Bingen, 55411 | Map It
  • Location: Bingen
Updated: 11-14-2013

Fodorite Reviews

Be the first to review this property

Advertisement

· Map of Mäuseturm

Map of



Travel Deals
Forums