The Renaissance philosopher and theologian Nikolaus Cusanus (1401–64) was born in Kues. The St.-Nikolaus-Hospital is a charitable Stiftung (foundation) he established in 1458, and it still operates a home for the elderly and a wine estate.
Mosel-Weinmuseum. Within St.-Nikolaus-Hospital is a wine museum as well as a bistro. There's also a Vinothek (wineshop). in the vaulted cellar, where you can sample more than 150 wines from the entire Mosel-Saar-Ruwer region. St.-Nikolaus-Hospital, Cusanusstr. 2, 54470. www.moselweinmuseum.de. Museum €5, Vinothek €15 for admission and wine tasting. Apr.–Oct., daily 10–6; Nov.–Mar., daily 11–5.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's