- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
High above Rüdesheim and visible for miles stands Germania, a colossal female statue crowning the Niederwald Monument. This tribute to German nationalism, all spruced up following a renovation in 2012, was built between 1877 and 1883 to commemorate the rebirth of the German Empire after the Franco-Prussian War (1870–71). Germania faces across the Rhine toward its eternal enemy, France. At her base are the words to a stirring patriotic song: "Dear Fatherland rest peacefully! Fast and true stands the watch, the watch on the Rhine!" There are splendid panoramic views from the monument and from other vantage points on the edge of the forested plateau. You can reach the monument on foot, by car (via Grabenstrasse), or over the vineyards in the Seilbahn (cable car). There's also a Sessellift (chairlift) to and from Assmannshausen, a red-wine enclave, on the other side of the hill; for €13, a "Ringticket" will take you from the Old Town to Niederwald by Seilbahn, from Niederwald to Assmannshausen by Sessellift, and back to Rüdesheim by boat.
- Address: Oberstr. 37, Rüdesheim, 65385 | Map It
- Phone: 06722/2402
- Cost: One-way €5, round-trip €7 or combined ticket for cable car and chairlift €7.50
- Hours: Mar., Apr., and Oct., weekdays 9:30–5, weekends 9:30–6; May, daily 9:30–6; June and Sept., weekdays 9:30–6, weekends 9:30–7; July and Aug., daily 9:30–7; Nov., daily 9:30–4; early- and mid-Dec., weekdays 11–6, weekends 11–7.
- Website: www.seilbahn-ruedesheim.de
- Location: Rüdesheim
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
I planned my trip using this forum and thought I should pay it forward and hopefully help someone else out there who is planning a trip. Read more
Our 40th Anniversary Trip to Germany-Vienna: Part 3, Trains
We used the Deutche Bahn (DB) rail system throughout our vacation. Read more
Hello everyone, I had so much help for my Italy trip, I am back for my Germany trip... Although will end up in Greece at the end of it, but first things first...
Basics: husband and myself, 3 weeks in total, Read more
· News & Features
Techie travelers have embraced the fun, tech-driven, on-the-road adventure that is geocaching. ... Read more
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting.... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more