- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Dom (Cathedral) Review
Köln's landmark embodies one of the purest expressions of the Gothic spirit in Europe. The cathedral, meant to be a tangible expression of God's kingdom on Earth, was conceived with such immense dimensions that construction, begun in 1248, was not completed until 1880, after the original plan was rediscovered. At 515 feet high, the two west towers of the cathedral were briefly the tallest structures in the world when they were finished (before being eclipsed by the Washington Monument). The cathedral was built to house what are believed to be the relics of the Magi, the three kings who paid homage to the infant Jesus (the trade in holy mementos was big business in the Middle Ages—and not always scrupulous). The size of the building was not simply an example of self-aggrandizement on the part of the people of Köln, however; it was a response to the vast numbers of pilgrims who arrived to see the relics. The ambulatory, the passage that curves around the back of the altar, is unusually large, allowing cathedral authorities to funnel large numbers of visitors up to the crossing (where the nave and transepts meet and where the relics were originally displayed), around the back of the altar, and out again.
Today the relics are kept just behind the altar, in the original, enormous gold-and-silver reliquary. The other great treasure of the cathedral, in the last chapel on the left as you face the altar, is the Gero Cross, a monumental oak crucifix dating from 971. The Altar of the City Patrons (1440), a triptych by Stephan Lochner, Köln's most famous medieval painter, is to the right. Other highlights are the stained-glass windows, some dating from the 13th century and another, designed by Gerhard Richter with help from a computer program, from the 21st; the 15th-century altarpiece; and the early-14th-century high altar, with its glistening white figures and intricate choir screens. If you're up to it, climb to the top of the bell tower to get the complete vertical experience (but be aware that viewing Köln from the Dom itself removes the skyline's most interesting feature). Allow at least an hour for the whole tour of the interior, treasury, and tower climb.
Domschatzkammer. The treasury includes the silver shrine of Archbishop Engelbert, who was stabbed to death in 1225. €5. Daily 10-6.
- Address: Dompl., Altstadt, Köln, 50667 | Map It
- Phone: 0221/9258-4730
- Cost: Tower €3, cathedral treasury €5
- Hours: Daily 6 am--7:30 pm (May--Oct. 6--9 pm); tower and stairwell Nov.--Feb., daily 9--4; Mar., Apr., and Oct., daily 9--5; May--Sept., daily 9--6; treasury daily 10--6; guided tours in English Mon.--Sat. at 10:30 and 2:30, Sun. at 2:30
- Website: www.koelner-dom.de
- Location: Cologne
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- 5-Star Nikko Dusseldorf Fr $169+/Nt Hotels.com
- Save at 5-Star Nikko Dusseldorf: $145 & Up in May Expedia
- Hot Deal on a 7 Nt Cruise! Uniworld Boutique Cruises Fr $2,539 Expedia
- Super Low D?sseldorf Rate: Book Fr $299+/Nt — $299 Save with Hotels.com, $33/night less
- D?sseldorf Savings! Book 3 Nts in May Fr $148+/Nt — $148 Expedia
Above is a blog that I hope will be entertaining and helpful to anyone who might be interested in backpacking across the continent. This is specifically for anyone who's Read more
We just returned from a relatively quick eight-day holiday break to Berlin, Dresden and Prague and are trying to get going on a trip report while things are still fresh in mind.
I’ve Read more
We will be traveling by train from Offenburg, Germany to Zurich to catch a flight to Amsterdam. Read more
· News & Features
We're sure your friends' Instagram photos of their puppies are super cute, but Brad Tully's animal snaps... Read more
From major airline uniform upgrades to tips from the jet set on doing Paris right, this was a very chic... Read more
The curious and daring among you will discover the vibrant, gilded landscape of Istanbul, the city tha... Read more