- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
From April to October, take a brief river cruise to the north or south of Speyer to discover the idyllic landscape of the ancient, forested islands along the Altrhein (original course of the Rhine). The islands are home to rare flora, fauna, and many birds. There are grand views of the cathedral from the boat.
Fahrgastschifffahrt Speyer. In the summer months, boat tours depart from just outside the Sea Life Aquarium at noon, 2, and 4. The trip lasts about 1½ hours and offers a unique look at Speyer's old harbor. Hafenstr. 22, Speyer, 67346. 06232/291–150. www.ms-sealife.de. €9.
Pfälzerland Fahrgastschiff. Enjoy a peaceful tour of the Speyer harbor on a ship built for 200 passengers. Homemade cakes and drinks are available on board. On Tuesday through Friday, 1½-hour tours depart at 1 and 3, and on Saturday at 3. The pick-up and drop-off point is on the Leinpfad. Dock: Leinpfad , on the Rhine riverbank, Rheinalle 2, Speyer, 67346. 06232/71366. www.personenschifffahrt-streib.de. €9.50.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's