The Pfalz and Rhine Terrace Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Top Reasons to Go
Wine: German Rieslings are some of the most versatile white wines in the world—on their own or with food. For many, discovering Germany's drier-style wines is a revelation.
Festivals: Wine is a great excuse for merrymaking, and there are scores of wine festivals throughout the region. The biggest and best is the Bad Dürkheimer Wurstmarkt in the town of Bad Dürkheim, which features a wine barrel the size of a building.
Pfälzerwald: The Palatinate Forest is a paradise for hiking and cycling. Even a brief walk under the beautiful pine and chestnut trees is relaxing and refreshing.
Castles: Burg Trifels and Schloss Villa Ludwigshöhe are a contrast in style, inside and out. Both are wonderful settings for concerts.
Cathedrals: The cathedrals in Speyer, Worms, and Mainz are the finest examples of grand-scale Rhenish Romanesque architecture in Germany.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's