- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
A little off the Fairy-Tale Road, and probably better known internationally as a trade-fair center than a tourist destination, the Lower Saxon capital's attractive mix of culture, arts, and nature justifies a visit here all the same. Home to leading museums, an opera house of international repute, and the finest baroque park in the country, it's a place that packs a surprising amount into a city of only half a million people. Conveniently centered between the city's main train station and its pleasant inner city lake, most of Hannover's major attractions, including its fine New and Old Town Halls, are within an easy walk of one another. In spring and summer the city's parks fill with picnicking families, while fall and winter are celebrated with the second biggest Oktoberfest in the world and cheery Christmas markets respectively.
Hannover at a Glance
Elsewhere in The Fairy-Tale Road
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's