- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Distinguished by its famous university, where the Brothers Grimm served as professors and librarians between 1830 and 1837, the fetching town of Göttingen's streets buzz with student life. Young people on bikes zip past bookshops and secondhand boutiques while evenings see the town's cozy bars and cafés swell with students making the most of the drinks specials and free Wi-Fi on offer. Full of elegant, gable-roofed architecture, it's also a large and modern place and boasts the shiny stores, chain coffee shops, and other trappings you'd expect of a 21st-century German town. Though not strictly on the Fairy-Tale Road, despite its association with the Grimms, Göttingen is still well worth visiting.
Göttingen at a Glance
Elsewhere in The Fairy-Tale Road
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's