- Zeppelin Museum, Friedrichshafen Step inside the gracious passenger rooms of the airship, and you may question whether the air transport of today, though undeniably bigger and faster, is a real improvement.
- Altes Schloss in Meersburg Explore the oldest continuously inhabited castle in Germany, from the sinister dungeons to the imposing knights' hall.
- Schloss Salem, near Überlingen The castle itself has plenty to see, with furnished rooms, stables, gardens, and museums.
- Wallfahrtskirche Birnau, near Überlingen A vineyard slopes down from this pilgrimage church to Schloss Maurach on the lakeshore. The scene inside the church is a riot of color and embellishment.
- Mainau Island More than a million tulips and narcissi grace the flower island in spring—later they're followed by rhododendrons and azaleas, roses, and dahlias.
Need a break from the big city? View 42-hour itineraries from 13 cities.More