The Black Forest Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Top Reasons to Go
Extraordinary regional specialties: Dig into Black Forest cake, Schwarzwald ham (only authentic if smoked over pinecones), and the incredible Tannen-Zäpfle Pilsner from the Rothaus Brewery.
Freiburg Münster: One of the most beautiful sandstone churches in southern Germany, the Cathedral of Freiburg survived the war unscathed. The view from the bell tower is stunning.
Going cuckoo: Look for a cuckoo clock from Triberg (or a nice watch from Pforzheim).
Healing waters: More than 30 spas with a wide range of treatments await to make visitors feel whole again, but nothing beats the 3½-hour session at the Friedrichsbad in Baden-Baden.
Libations at Kaiserstuhl: Enjoy a local wine in the wine-maker's yard or cellar with Black Forest ham and dark bread. It's especially nice when the grapes are being harvested.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe