- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Baden-Baden, the famous and fashionable spa town, is downhill all the way north on B-500 from the Mummelsee. The town rests in a wooded valley and is atop the extensive underground hot springs that gave the city its name. Roman legions of the emperor Caracalla discovered the springs and named the area Aquae Aureliae. The leisure classes of the 19th century rediscovered the bubbling waters, establishing Baden-Baden as the unofficial summer residence of many European royal families. The town's fortunes also rose and fell with gaming: gambling began in the mid-18th century but was banned by the Kaiser between 1872 and 1933. Palatial homes and stately villas grace the tree-lined avenues, and the spa tradition continues at the ornate casino and two thermal baths, one historic and luxurious, the other modern and well used by families. Since Baden-Baden is only two hours from Frankfurt Airport by train, the spa makes a nice last stop on the way.
Though some Germans come here for two- to three-week doctor-prescribed treatments (German health insurance pays for a weeklong Kur [cure] once every five years), the spa concept also embraces facilities for those just looking for pampering. Shops line several pedestrian streets that eventually climb up toward the old marketplace. Two theaters present frequent ballet performances, plays, and concerts (by the excellent Southwest German Radio Symphony Orchestra).
Baden-Baden at a Glance
Elsewhere in The Black Forest
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Golden Leaf Stuttgart Airport & Messe in May: $82 & Up Expedia
- Book 3.5-Star Park Inn by Radisson Stuttgart Fr $104+/Nt Save with Expedia, $26/night less
- $152 & Up: Holiday Inn Stuttgart 4-Star Hotel in Stuttgart — $152 Expedia
- Book in Stuttgart: Save at the Arcotel Camino in May Fr $126+/Nt — $126 Expedia
- Special deal: 4-Star Mercure Stuttgart Airport Messe Fr $107+/Nt — $107 Expedia