- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Kloster Ettal Review
The great monastery was founded in 1330 by Holy Roman Emperor Ludwig the Bavarian for a group of knights and a community of Benedictine monks. This is the largest Benedictine monastery in Germany; approximately 55 monks live here. The abbey was replaced with new buildings in the 18th century and now serves as a school. The original 10-sided church was brilliantly redecorated in 1744–53, becoming one of the foremost examples of Bavarian rococo. The church's chief treasure is its enormous dome fresco (83 feet wide), painted by Jacob Zeiller circa 1751–52. The mass of swirling clouds and the pink-and-blue vision of heaven are typical of the rococo fondness for elaborate ceiling painting.
Today, the Kloster owns most of the surrounding land and directly operates the Hotel Ludwig der Bayer, the Kloster-Laden, and the Kloster-markt. All of the Kloster's activities, from beer production to running the hotel serve one singular purpose: to fund the famous college-prep and boarding schools which are tuition-free.
Ettaler liqueurs, made from a centuries-old recipe, are still distilled at the monastery. The monks make seven different liqueurs, some with more than 70 mountain herbs. Originally the liqueurs were made as medicines, and they have legendary health-giving properties. The ad tells it best: "Two monks know how it's made, 2 million Germans know how it tastes." You can visit the distillery right next to the church and buy bottles of the libation from the gift shop and bookstore. The honey-saffron schnapps is the best.
It's possible to tour the distillery (€6) and the brewery (€9).
- Address: Kaiser-Ludwig-Platz 1, Ettal, 82488
- Phone: 08822/740 for guided tour of church; 08822/746228 distillery; 08822/746450 brewery
- Cost: Free
- Hours: church: Winter 8–6, summer 8–7:45; distillery tours: call first; brewery tours: Tues. and Thurs. 1:30, register before 11, on day of tour
- Website: www.abtei.kloster-ettal.de
- Location: Ettal
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
In early September 2013, we had a trip to Europe, covering 14 cities in 15 days. Read more
Early in 2014, DH learned that he might be making several overseas business trips in the next few months; we decided if one was during my March week-long break from teaching and we could get a seat with Read more
I was looking at rail tickets for two persons travelling from Baden Baden to Munich on the morning of May 29. Read more
· News & Features
Stunning beaches, tantalizing food, and veritable vino—we're all about epicurean excellence ... Read more
A history of Moleskine notebooks and a blog for safari lovers are among the things we've been reading... Read more
Nassau is an easily accessible, fun-packed destination for adults and kids alike.... Read more