- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Getting Here and Around
The easiest way to reach Berchtesgaden is with the hourly train connection via Freilassing, or with the bus from Salzburg Hauptbanhof. Keep in mind that there is no long-distance train service to or from Berchtesgaden, and travel from here requires a change in Freilassing. Salzburg's main train station is undergoing renovation through 2013, and the frequent train connection to and from Berchtesgaden is unavailable until then. Bus 840 runs once per hour (45 minutes, €4.90) from Salzburg to Berchtesgaden, making this the fastest connection from Munich. Frequent local bus service makes it easy to explore the town and to reach Berchtesgaden National Park and the Königssee. Local bus services, except from Documentation center to the Eagle's Nest, are included when you pay the Kurtaxe. The Schwaiger bus company runs tours of the area and across the Austrian border as far as Salzburg. An American couple runs Berchtesgaden Mini-bus Tours out of the local tourist office, opposite the railroad station.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's