- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
The heart of this town, 28 km (17 mi) southwest of Binz, is the Circus, a round central plaza dating back to the early 19th century. The immaculate white buildings surrounding the Circus give the city its nickname, "Weisse Stadt" (White City). In summer the blooming roses in front of the houses (once a requirement by the ruling noble family of Putbus) are truly spectacular.
Rasender Roland. From Putbus you can take a ride on the 90-year-old miniature steam train, which runs 24 km (16 mi) to Göhren, at the southeast corner of Rügen. Trains leave hourly from Göhren to Binz and every two hours from Binz to Putbus; the ride takes 70 minutes one way. Binzer Str. 12, 18581. 038301/8010. www.rasender-roland.de. €20 day ticket. Apr.-Oct., daily 7:48 am-7:46 pm with bi-hourly departures from Putbus. Nov.-Mar., daily 7:48 am-5:44 pm with departures every 2 hrs.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Save at 4-Star Ring Birke: $137 & Up in May Expedia
- Book in Lubeck: Save this May Fr $221+/Nt Expedia
- 10 Nt Cruise on Sale: See Kiel Fr $1,499 Expedia
- Small budget: Stay in Lubeck this May Fr $106+/Nt — $106 Save with Expedia, $12/night less
- Discover Kiel & More: 10 Nts Aboard Costa Cruises Fr $3,409 — $3,409 Expedia
Above is a blog that I hope will be entertaining and helpful to anyone who might be interested in backpacking across the continent. This is specifically for anyone who's Read more
We just returned from a relatively quick eight-day holiday break to Berlin, Dresden and Prague and are trying to get going on a trip report while things are still fresh in mind.
I’ve Read more
looking for hotels near the train station in Munich that would be reasonably priced, English speaking at front desk, and in an area that is safe. Read more
· News & Features
We're sure your friends' Instagram photos of their puppies are super cute, but Brad Tully's animal snaps... Read more
From major airline uniform upgrades to tips from the jet set on doing Paris right, this was a very chic... Read more
The curious and daring among you will discover the vibrant, gilded landscape of Istanbul, the city tha... Read more