- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
The fastest and least inexpensive way to explore the region is by train. East Germany's rail infrastructure is exceptional; trains serve even the most remote destinations with astonishing frequency. Slower S, RB, and RE trains link smaller towns, while Leipzig, Dresden, Weimar, Erfurt, Naumburg, and Wittenberg are all on major ICE lines. Some cities—Dresden and Meissen, for example—are linked by commuter trains.
From Dresden a round-trip ticket to Leipzig costs about €43 (a 1½-hour journey one-way); to Görlitz it's about €38 (a 1½-hour ride). Trains connect Leipzig with Halle (a 30-minute ride, €10), Erfurt (a 1-hour ride, €28), and Eisenach (a 1½-hour journey, €28). The train ride between Dresden and Eisenach (2½ hours) costs €56 one-way.
Consider using a Länder-Ticket, a €29 regional day ticket from the German Railroad that covers local train travel in the respective state (for example, within Sachsen, Sachsen-Anhalt, or Thüringen).
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book 3-Star Achat Comfort Dresden Fr $96+/Nt Expedia
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Dresden Fr $94+/Nt Save with Expedia, $10/night less
- Book 4-Star Ramada Dresden in Dresden Fr $75+/Nt — $75 Save with Expedia, $6/night less
- Book 3 Nts in Dresden this May Fr $167+/Nt — $167 Expedia
- Book 5-Star Taschenbergpalais Kempinski in Dresden Fr $270+/Nt — $270 Expedia