- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
On the A-4 between Dresden and Erfurt lies the picture-perfect, lost-in-time Thuringian village of Schmölln. The town became famous at the end of the 19th as the center of Europe's button trade. Schmölln's industrial ambitions ended with the confiscation of the button industry as war reparations by the Red Army.
Schmölln's medieval Marktplatz, which the city rebuilt after a fire destroyed many of the buildings in 1772, is the largest in central Germany and a protected monument.
Schmölln is also famous for Schmöllner Mutzbraten, a fist-size piece of marinated pork-shoulder, spiced with marjoram and spit-roasted over birch.
Climb the 30-meter-high Ernst-Agnes-Turm, the Eiffel Tower of East Thuringia, for incredible views of the rolling hills surrounding the Sprotte Valley.
Regional and Button Museum. The Regional and Button Museum explores Schmölln's history and culture, while providing a charming insight to the history of the button. Sprotter/Ronneburger Str., Erfurt, D-04626. 034491/7692. www.schmoelln.de. €3. Wed. and Fri. 10-5, weekends 12:30-6.
Hotel Reussischer Hof. The best place to sample this delicacy is the beer garden of the Hotel Reussischer Hof, which is also a good place to spend the night. Gössnitzer Str. 14, Erfurt. 034491/23108. www.hotel-reussischer-hof.de. No credit cards.
- Location: Erfurt
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- 3-Star Astral Fr $58+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $38/night less
- Small budget: Stay in Leipzig this May Fr $91+/Nt Expedia
- Starting Fr $77: Great Leipzig Price — $77 Hotels.com
- Leipzig Savings! Book at Top Vivaldi Leipzig Fr $129+/Nt — $129 Expedia
- 3.5-Star Regency International Leipzig Fr $60+/Nt — $60 Hotels.com
Above is a blog that I hope will be entertaining and helpful to anyone who might be interested in backpacking across the continent. This is specifically for anyone who's Read more
We just returned from a relatively quick eight-day holiday break to Berlin, Dresden and Prague and are trying to get going on a trip report while things are still fresh in mind.
I’ve Read more
What are some good daytrips (within 1.5-2 hours, preferably by public transit, but renting a car for a day would also be an option) from Munich that get you to an area with beautiful mountain scenery (with Read more
· News & Features
Earlier this week, Consumer Reports released their annual study of the best and worst domestic airlines.... Read more
From the steamed cider aromas that hit you in the lobby to the local ingredients served in the restaurant,... Read more
You might not expect to find yourself amongst wine grapes a mere 75 miles outside of New York City.... Read more