Dreifaltigkeitskirche (Church of the Holy Trinity)
Dreifaltigkeitskirche (Church of the Holy Trinity) Review
On the southeast side of the market lies this pleasant Romanesque church with a Gothic interior, built in 1245. The interior houses an impressive Gothic triptych altarpiece. The clock on the thin tower is set seven minutes fast in remembrance of a trick played by the city guards on the leaders of a rebellion. In 1527 the city's disenfranchised cloth makers secretly met to plan a rebellion against the city council and the powerful guilds. Their plans were uncovered, and by setting the clock ahead the guards fooled the rebels into thinking it was safe to sneak into the city. As a result they were caught and hanged.
View deals in Saxony, Saxony-Anhalt and Thuringia for vacation packages, hotels, airfare, and more from our partners!More