- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Melanchthonhaus (Melanchthon House)
Melanchthonhaus (Melanchthon House) Review
In this elegantly gabled Renaissance home, the humanist teacher and scholar Philipp Melanchthon corrected Luther's translation of the New Testament from Greek into German. Luther was hiding in the Wartburg in Eisenach at the time, and as each section of his manuscript was completed it was sent to Melanchthon for approval. (Melanchthon is a Greek translation of the man's real name, Schwarzerdt, which means "black earth"; humanists routinely adopted such classical pseudonyms.) The second-floor furnishings have been painstakingly re-created after period etchings.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Two farm kid high school sweethearts celebrate 35 years of marriage in Europe. Read more
I attended the opening of the Nuremberg Christkindlsmarkt yesterday evening. Read more
Sorry to repeat the perennial question regarding topdeck vs busabout but I am really struggling to decide between these two as I only have about 14 days to travel around Europe in May/June 2014.
The topdeck Read more
· News & Features
The Caesars Entertainment and Starwood hotel groups have teamed up to offer reciprocal benefits across... Read more
In September, new boutique hotel 1888 landed in Sydney, with an unusual claim to fame: It's the world's... Read more
Come January, American Airlines will introduce brand-new premium Airbus A321 planes on its transcontinental... Read more