- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
A side trip to Halle-Neustadt (nicknamed Hanoi by the locals), is worthwhile for anyone interested in socialist city planning. Halle-Neustadt is a huge planned residential community comprised of block after block of prefabricated housing units that are commonly associated with Eastern Europe.
The project resulted from the construction of a large chemical factory complex near Schkopau and Leuna (to the south) and the need to quickly house thousands of workers and their families in the 1960s. Compared to other Plattenbau, as such houses are called in German, Halle-Neustadt is generously proportioned, with wide thoroughfares, large-scale art and beautification projects, and theaters and cinemas. In its heyday, more than 92,000 people lived here. To get here from the Marktplatz, take Tram 2 to Soltauer Strasse or Tram 10 to Göttinger Bogen and back.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Leipzig Savings! Book 3 Nts in May Fr $72+/Nt Save with Expedia, $6/night less
- 4-Star Mercure Leipzig Am Johannisplatz Fr $118+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $12/night less
- Leipzig Savings! Book at A&O City Hauptbahnhof Fr $97+/Nt — $97 Expedia
- 4-Star Penta Leipzig Fr $135+/Nt — $135 Save with Hotels.com, $15/night less
- Leipzig Savings! Book 3 Nts in May at Lindner Leipzig Fr $121+/Nt — $121 Expedia
Above is a blog that I hope will be entertaining and helpful to anyone who might be interested in backpacking across the continent. This is specifically for anyone who's Read more
We just returned from a relatively quick eight-day holiday break to Berlin, Dresden and Prague and are trying to get going on a trip report while things are still fresh in mind.
I’ve Read more
Going to Amsterdam 30 2 days of may then driving down to Schwabis Hall Germany for 1 or 2 days have 5 days to fill flying back out of Amsterdam was thinking France ( Nancy ) Luxemburg then Belgum back to Read more