- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Stepping off the train in the sleepy town of Freyburg, it is not difficult to see why locals call the area "the Tuscany of the North." With clean, wandering streets, whitewashed buildings, and a huge castle perched on a vine-terraced hill, Freyburg is a little out of place. The town owes its existence to Schloss Neuenburg, which was built by the same Thuringian count who built the Wartburg. Although most visitors head straight for the wine, the historic Old Town and castle certainly warrant a visit.
Freyburg is surrounded by a 1,200-meter-long almost completely intact city wall. The Ekstädter Tor was the most important gate into the city, and dates from the 14th century. The gate is dominated by one of the few remaining barbicans in central Germany.
Freyburg at a Glance
- Rotkäppchen Sektkellerei (Little Red Riding Hood Sparkling Wine)
- Schloss Neuenburg (Neuenburg Castle)
Elsewhere in Saxony, Saxony-Anhalt and Thuringia
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Special deal: 3-Star Ibis Dresden Lilienstein Fr $101+/Nt Expedia
- Dresden Savings! Book at DORMERO Konigshof Dresden Fr $97+/Nt Save with Expedia, $39/night less
- Save at 4-Star Hotel: 4 Nts + Air to Dresden Fr $2038 Expedia
- Innside by Melia Dresden on Sale: Book 3 Nts in Jun Fr $139+/Nt — $139 Save with Expedia, $32/night less
- Dresden 4-Star Hotel Sale! 4 Nts + Air Fr $1963 — $1,963 Expedia