Saxony, Saxony-Anhalt and Thuringia Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Eating Well in Saxony
The cuisine of the region is hearty and seasonal, and almost every town has a unique specialty unavailable outside the immediate area. Look for Gebratene Kalbsbrust (roast veal breast), spicy Thüringer Bratwurst (sausage), Schlesische Himmelreich (ham and pork roast smothered in baked fruit and white sauce, served with dumplings), Teichlmauke (mashed potato in broth), Blauer Karpfe (blue carp, marinated in vinegar), and Raacher Maad (grated and boiled potatoes fried in butter and served with blueberries). Venison and wild boar are standards in forest and mountainous areas, and lamb from Saxony-Anhalt is particularly good. In Thuringia, Klösse (potato dumplings) are virtually a religion.
Eastern Germany is experiencing a Renaissance in the art of northern German brewing. The first stop for any beer lover should be the Bayrische Bahnhof in Leipzig, to give Gose a try. Dresden's Brauhaus Watzke, Quedlinburg's Lüddebräu, and even the Lansdkron brewery in Görlitz are bringing craft brewing back to a region inundated with mass-produced brew.
Saxony has cultivated vineyards for more than 800 years, and is known for its dry red and white wines, among them Müller-Thurgau, Weissburgunder, Ruländer, and the spicy Traminer. The Sächsische Weinstrasse (Saxon Wine Route) follows the course of the Elbe River from Diesbar-Seusslitz (north of Meissen) to Pirna (southeast of Dresden). Meissen, Radebeul, and Dresden have upscale wine restaurants, and wherever you see a green seal with the letter S and grapes depicted, good local wine is being served. One of the best kept secrets in German wine making is the Salle-Unstrut region, which produces spicy Silvaner and Rieslings.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book 4-Star Maritim Dresden in Dresden Fr $171+/Nt Save with Expedia, $42/night less
- $121 & Up: Lindner Leipzig 4-Star Hotel in Leipzig Expedia
- 4-Star Penta Leipzig Fr $135+/Nt — $135 Save with Hotels.com, $15/night less
- Book 3 Nts in Leipzig this May Fr $191+/Nt — $191 Expedia
- 4-Star Lindner Leipzig Fr $80+/Nt — $80 Save with Hotels.com, $128/night less