- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
The name "Dessau" is known to students of modern architecture as the epicenter of architect Walter Gropius' highly influential Bauhaus school of design. During the 1920s, Gropius hoped to replace the dark and inhumane tenement architecture of the 1800s with standardized yet spacious and bright apartments. His ideas and methods were used in building 316 villas in the city's Törten neighborhood in the 1920s.
Dessau at a Glance
Elsewhere in Saxony, Saxony-Anhalt and Thuringia
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's