- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Olympiapark (Olympic Park)
Olympiapark (Olympic Park) Review
Built for the 1972 Olympic Games on the staggering quantities of rubble delivered from the war-time destruction of Munich, the Olympiapark was—and still is—considered an architectural and landscape wonder. The jewel in the crown is the Olympic Stadium, former home of Bayern Munich soccer team. With its truly avant-garde sweeping canopy roof, winding its way across various parts of the complex, it was an inspired design for the big events of the 1972 Olympic Games. Tragically, a bigger event relegated what was heading to be the most successful Games to date to the sidelines. It was from the adjacent accommodation area that a terrorist attack on the Israeli team began, eventually leaving 17 people dead.
Unlike many former Olympic sites around the world, today the area is heavily used and is home to numerous events, such as the summer Tollwood festival, concerts, sporting events, and it is a haven for joggers and people just wishing to relax. Tours of the park are conducted on a Disneyland-style train throughout the day. For the more adventurous, how about climbing the roof of the Olympic Stadium and rappelling down? For the best view of the whole city and the Alps, take the elevator up the 955-foot Olympiaturm (Olympic Tower) or try out the revolving Michelin-starred Restaurant 181 on the same level.
- Address: Spiridon-Louis-Ring, Milbertshofen, Munich, 80809 | Map It
- Phone: 089/350948181 restaurant
- Cost: Stadium tour €7.50; tower €5.50
- Hours: Tour schedules vary; call ahead for departure times
- Website: www.olympiapark-muenchen.de
- Metro Olympiazentrum (U-bahn 3).
- Location: Outside the Center
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
I planned my trip using this forum and thought I should pay it forward and hopefully help someone else out there who is planning a trip. Read more
Our 40th Anniversary Trip to Germany-Vienna: Part 3, Trains
We used the Deutche Bahn (DB) rail system throughout our vacation. Read more
We will spend three nights with a friend in Augsburg with our two boys, 4 and 6. Read more
· News & Features
It may be too late to book it to Munich for Oktoberfest this year, but this insider's guide to all things ... Read more
Spring is in the air and summer vacation is just on the horizon, making it prime time for travel rewards... Read more
Celebrate the 200th anniversary of the German beer garden all summer in Munich.... Read more