- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
BMW Museum Review
Munich is the home of the famous BMW car company. The circular tower of its museum is one of the defining images of Munich's modern cityscape. It contains not only a dazzling collection of BMWs old and new but also items and exhibitions relating to the company's social history and its technical developments. It's a great place to stop in if you're at the Olympiapark already.
BMW Welt. Opened in 2007, the cutting-edge design of BMW Welt, with its sweeping, futuristic facade, is just one structure helping to overcome the conservative image Munich has had in the realm of architecture since 1945. Even if you have just a passing interest in cars and engines, this is the place to see. This is also where around 15,000 of the firm's cars are handed over to customers every year. It is already one of the most popular must-sees in the city, averaging 2 million visitors a year since opening. As well as tours of the building, there are readings, concerts, and exhibitions. Tours can only be booked via telephone or email.
The adjacent BMW factory can be toured on weekdays. Registration for plant tours (which last a maximum of 2½ hours) is only possible in advance via phone. The tours start (from 4 o'clock) and finish at the information counter at BMW Welt. Due to plant reconstruction, the tour does not include the car assembly area, which also means there is no wheelchair access at present. Reserve at least two weeks in advance for all tours. BMW Welt, Am Olympiapark 1, 80809. 01802/118822 for all tours. For BMW Welt tours: email@example.com. www.bmw-plant-munich.com. BMW Welt tour €7; factory tour €8. BMW Welt is open Mon.–Sat. 9–6, Sun.10–6. Olympiazentrum (U-bahn).
- Address: Am Olympiapark 2, Milbertshofen, Munich, 80809 | Map It
- Phone: 089/125016001 For tours
- Cost: BMW Museum: €9, €12 tour; BMW Welt: free
- Hours: BMW Museum, Tues.–Sun. 10–6; BMW Welt, daily 7:30 am–11 pm
- Website: www.bmw-welt.com
- Metro Olympiazentrum (U-bahn).
- Location: Outside the Center
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
In early September 2013, we had a trip to Europe, covering 14 cities in 15 days. Read more
Early in 2014, DH learned that he might be making several overseas business trips in the next few months; we decided if one was during my March week-long break from teaching and we could get a seat with Read more
I was looking at rail tickets for two persons travelling from Baden Baden to Munich on the morning of May 29. Read more
· News & Features
It may be too late to book it to Munich for Oktoberfest this year, but this insider's guide to all things ... Read more
Spring is in the air and summer vacation is just on the horizon, making it prime time for travel rewards... Read more
Celebrate the 200th anniversary of the German beer garden all summer in Munich.... Read more