- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Stuttgart is a place of extreme contradictions. It has been called, among other things, "Germany's biggest small town" and "the city where work is a pleasure." For centuries Stuttgart, whose name derives from Stutengarten, or "stud farm," remained a pastoral backwater along the Neckar. Then the Industrial Revolution propelled the city into the machine age. Leveled in World War II, Stuttgart has regained its position as one of Germany's top industrial centers.
This is Germany's can-do city, whose natives have turned out Mercedes-Benz and Porsche cars, Bosch electrical equipment, and a host of other products exported worldwide. Yet Stuttgart is also a city of culture and the arts, with world-class museums, opera, and a ballet company. Moreover, it's the domain of fine local wines; the vineyards actually approach the city center in a rim of green hills. Forests, vineyards, meadows, and orchards compose more than half the city, which is enclosed on three sides by woods.
An ideal introduction to the contrasts of Stuttgart is a guided city bus tour. Included is a visit to the needle-nose TV tower, high on a mountaintop above the city, affording stupendous views. Built in 1956, it was the first of its kind in the world. The tourist office also offers superb walking tours. On your own, the best place to begin exploring Stuttgart is the Hauptbahnhof (main train station); from there walk down the pedestrian street Königstrasse to Schillerplatz, a small, charming square named after the 18th-century poet and playwright Friedrich Schiller, who was born in nearby Marbach. It's surrounded by historic buildings, many of them rebuilt after the war.
Stuttgart at a Glance
- Altes Schloss (Old Castle)
- Haus der Geschichte Baden-Württemberg (Museum of the History of Baden-Württemberg)
- Kunstmuseum Stuttgart (Stuttgart Art Museum)
- Mercedes-Benz Museum
- Porsche Museum
Elsewhere in Heidelberg and the Neckar Valley
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Golden Leaf Stuttgart Airport & Messe in May: $82 & Up Expedia
- Book 3.5-Star Park Inn by Radisson Stuttgart Fr $104+/Nt Save with Expedia, $26/night less
- $152 & Up: Holiday Inn Stuttgart 4-Star Hotel in Stuttgart — $152 Expedia
- Book in Stuttgart: Save at the Arcotel Camino in May Fr $126+/Nt — $126 Expedia
- Special deal: 4-Star Mercure Stuttgart Airport Messe Fr $107+/Nt — $107 Expedia