Across the street from the Neues Schloss stands this former residence of the counts and dukes of Württemberg, which was originally built as a moated castle around 1320. Wings were added in the mid-15th century, creating a Renaissance palace. The palace now houses the Landesmuseum Württemberg (Württemberg State Museum), with imaginative exhibits tracing the area's development from the Stone Age to modern times. There's also a separate floor as a dedicated children's
museum. The second floor, which reopened in 2012 after an extensive renovation, includes jaw-dropping family jewels of the fabulously rich and powerful Württemberg royals.