- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Hotel Die Hirschgasse
At a Glance
- terrific view
- very good food in both restaurants
- limited parking
- 15-minute walk to Old Town
Fodor's FindsLowest Price Guarantee
Hotel Die Hirschgasse Review
A stunning castle view marks this historic inn (1472), located across the river opposite Karlstor. Convivial Ernest Kraft and his British wife Allison serve upscale regional specialties (and wines from the vineyard next door) in the Mensurstube ($$-$$$), once a tavern where university students indulged in fencing duels, as mentioned in Mark Twain's A Tramp Abroad. Beamed ceilings, stone walls, and deep red fabrics make for romantic dining in elegant Le Gourmet ($$$-$$$$). The hotel's decor is also romantic, filled with floral prints, artwork, and deep shades of red. The suites are quite large, comfortable, and elegantly appointed.
- Address: Hirschg. 3, Heidelberg, 69120 | Map It
- Phone: 06221/4540
- Website: www.hirschgasse.de
- Location: Heidelberg
- 20 suites.
- Credit cards accepted.
- Le Gourmet closed 2 wks in early Jan., 2 wks in early Aug., and Sun. and Mon.; Mensurstube closed Sun. No lunch at either restaurant.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Special deal: 4-Star Mercure Stuttgart Airport Messe Fr $107+/Nt Expedia
- May deal: TOP Messe Europe Fr $145+/Nt Expedia
- Save at 4.5-Star Pullman Fontana Stuttgart: $129 & Up in May — $129 Save with Expedia, $92/night less
- Book 3.5-Star Park Inn by Radisson Stuttgart Fr $104+/Nt — $104 Save with Expedia, $26/night less
- Book the Golden Leaf Zuffenhausen 3 Nts in May Fr $73+/Nt — $73 Save with Expedia, $21/night less
Above is a blog that I hope will be entertaining and helpful to anyone who might be interested in backpacking across the continent. This is specifically for anyone who's Read more
We just returned from a relatively quick eight-day holiday break to Berlin, Dresden and Prague and are trying to get going on a trip report while things are still fresh in mind.
I’ve Read more
I need a bit of advice regarding a trip this coming September to Amsterdam and Germany. Read more
· News & Features
Memorial Day is the unofficial start of what we like to call "weekend getaway season."... Read more
Wineries have a very obvious main draw.... Read more
The Aran Islands (Inishmore, Inishmaan, and Inisheer) are three small, but adventure-packed islands o... Read more