- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Hotel Die Hirschgasse
At a Glance
- terrific view
- very good food in both restaurants
- close to "museum row."
- limited parking
- 15-minute walk to Old Town
Check Rates from our Partners
Hotel Die Hirschgasse Review
A stunning castle view, fine restaurants, a literary connection, and a touch of romance distinguish this historic inn (1472) across the river from the Old Town, opposite Karlstor. Convivial Ernest Kraft and his British wife Allison serve upscale regional specialties (and wines from the vineyard next door) in the Mensurstube, once a tavern where university students indulged in fencing duels, as mentioned in Mark Twain's A Tramp Abroad. Beamed ceilings, stone walls, and deep red fabrics make for romantic dining in elegant Le Gourmet. The hotel's interior is also romantic, filled with floral prints, artwork, and deep shades of red. The suites are quite large, comfortable, and elegantly appointed.
- Address: Hirschg. 3, Heidelberg, 69120 | Map It
- Phone: 06221/4540
- Website: www.hirschgasse.de
- Location: Heidelberg
- 20 suites.
- Rate includes breakfast, some meals.
- Credit cards accepted.
- Le Gourmet closed Sun. and Mon., 2 wks in early Jan., and 2 wks in early Aug.; Mensurstube closed Sun. No lunch at either restaurant.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
In early September 2013, we had a trip to Europe, covering 14 cities in 15 days. Read more
Early in 2014, DH learned that he might be making several overseas business trips in the next few months; we decided if one was during my March week-long break from teaching and we could get a seat with Read more
I am deciding between the Hotel Residenz Berlin and Myer's Hotel. Read more
· News & Features
Premium economy is the budding class of the airline world, but deciding on a carrier (and whether it’s... Read more
San Juan's balmy temperatures, gorgeous beaches, and charming, historic buildings make it the perfec... Read more
Keep an open mind and a flexible schedule on your next getaway.... Read more