- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Hotel Die Hirschgasse
At a Glance
- terrific view
- very good food in both restaurants
- close to "museum row."
- limited parking
- 15-minute walk to Old Town
Check Rates from our Partners
Hotel Die Hirschgasse Review
A stunning castle view, fine restaurants, a literary connection, and a touch of romance distinguish this historic inn (1472) across the river from the Old Town, opposite Karlstor. Convivial Ernest Kraft and his British wife Allison serve upscale regional specialties (and wines from the vineyard next door) in the Mensurstube, once a tavern where university students indulged in fencing duels, as mentioned in Mark Twain's A Tramp Abroad. Beamed ceilings, stone walls, and deep red fabrics make for romantic dining in elegant Le Gourmet. The hotel's interior is also romantic, filled with floral prints, artwork, and deep shades of red. The suites are quite large, comfortable, and elegantly appointed.
- Address: Hirschg. 3, Heidelberg, 69120 | Map It
- Phone: 06221/4540
- Website: www.hirschgasse.de
- Location: Heidelberg
- 20 suites.
- Rate includes breakfast, some meals.
- Credit cards accepted.
- Le Gourmet closed Sun. and Mon., 2 wks in early Jan., and 2 wks in early Aug.; Mensurstube closed Sun. No lunch at either restaurant.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Two farm kid high school sweethearts celebrate 35 years of marriage in Europe. Read more
I attended the opening of the Nuremberg Christkindlsmarkt yesterday evening. Read more
·Austria Forum, Belgium Forum, Czech Republic Forum, France Forum, Germany Forum, Italy Forum, Luxembourg Forum, Netherlands Forum, Switzerland Forum
Hi everyone! Read more
· News & Features
From milk and cookies to a full-on Christmas tree (with the option to decorate it yourself), hotels are... Read more
As 2013 comes to a close, there's no slowing down for the Bay Area's restaurant scene.... Read more
Visit the mysterious Land of the Golden Pagodas—Myanmar—with AmaWaterways, starting in Novembe... Read more