- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
The second-largest city in Germany after Berlin, Hamburg sits on northern Germany's fertile lowlands. Despite heavy destruction during World War II, Hamburg is surprisingly green and architecturally beautiful. With 1.8 million inhabitants on 295 square mi (764 square km), it is the least densely populated million-person metropolis in the world. Hamburg is spread out around an upscale, historic Downtown area of St. Georg, Neustadt, and Rotherbaum, but also contains villagelike neighborhoods, like Bergstedt, and funky neighborhoods, like Altona and Sternschanze, or Schanzeviertel. Eimsbüttel is a neighborhood full of young families, cool cafés and interesting boutiques. Eppendorf is an upscale area famous for its beauty; plentiful and unique shopping; and thriving restaurant scene. Hamburgers are eagerly awaiting the completion of HafenCity, one of the world's largest urban-planning projects in 2025.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's