- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
St. Pauli and the Reeperbahn
The maritime district of St. Pauli is sometimes described as a "Babel of sin," but that's not really fair anymore. Hamburgers are proud they have one of the most famous red-light districts in the world. Prostitution is legal in Germany and its supporters could be found on the Reeperbahn, which is a major street and a neighborhood. There were also many sex shops and strip clubs. Although brothels and sex shops are still in operation in the area, today the Reeperbahn looks more like the French Quarter than Sodom and Gomorrah. At one end of the Reeperbahn sits the TUI Operettenhaus and at the other, lighted silhouettes of the Beatles, who perfected their skills at the Star Club, a major club that once roared on a side street.
Beyond this strip of pleasures, St. Pauli and Altona are two fun and hip areas bursting with cool restaurants, dive bars, and chic lounges.
St. Pauli and the Reeperbahn at a Glance
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $122 & Up: AMEDIA Hamburg 3.5-Star Hotel in Hamburg Save with Expedia, $12/night less
- May deal: Steigenberger Hamburg Fr $282+/Nt Expedia
- Hot Deal on a 16 Nt Cruise! Costa Cruises Fr $2,899 Expedia
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Hamburg Fr $213+/Nt — $213 Save with Expedia, $53/night less
- See Hamburg with Costa Cruises, 11 Nts Fr $1,999 — $1,999 Expedia