- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
St. Michaelis Kirche (St. Michael's Church)
St. Michaelis Kirche (St. Michael's Church) Review
The Michel, as it's called locally, is Hamburg's principal church and northern Germany's finest baroque-style ecclesiastical building. Its first incarnation, built between 1649 and 1661 (the tower followed in 1669), was razed after lightning struck almost a century later. It was rebuilt between 1750 and 1786 in the decorative Nordic baroque style, but was gutted by a terrible fire in 1906. The replica, completed in 1912, was demolished during World War II. The present church is a reconstruction.
The distinctive 436-foot brick-and-iron tower bears the largest tower clock in Germany, 26 feet in diameter. Just above the clock is a viewing platform (accessible by elevator or stairs) that affords a magnificent panorama of the city, the Elbe River, and the Alster lakes. Twice a day, at 10 am and 9 pm (Sunday at noon), a watchman plays a trumpet solo from the tower platform. In the crypt a 30-minute movie about the 1,000-year history of Hamburg and its churches is shown.
For a great view of Hamburg's skyline, head to the clock tower at night. In the evenings you can sip a complimentary soft drink while listening to classical music in a room just below the tower. This is usually held from 5:30 pm to 11:00 pm: check www.nachtmichel.de to confirm times.
- Address: Englische Planke 1, Neustadt, Hamburg, 20459 | Map It
- Phone: 040/376–780
- Cost: Tower €5; crypt and movie €4; show, tower, and crypt €7
- Hours: May–Oct., daily 9–7:30; Nov.–Apr., daily 10–5:30
- Website: www.st-michaelis.de
- U-bahn: Rödingsmarkt (U-bahn), Stadthausbrücke (S-bahn).
- Location: The Harbor and Historic Hamburg
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
I planned my trip using this forum and thought I should pay it forward and hopefully help someone else out there who is planning a trip. Read more
Our 40th Anniversary Trip to Germany-Vienna: Part 3, Trains
We used the Deutche Bahn (DB) rail system throughout our vacation. Read more
We will be arriving from USA at 9:30 am on a Wednesday. Read more
· News & Features
This new museum and family research center tells the fascinating story of German emigration to the United ... Read more
If you’re considering a European getaway to a city where biking everywhere is the norm, digging... Read more