Alster Lakes Review
The twin lakes of the Binnenalster (Inner Alster) and Aussenalster (Outer Alster) provide Hamburg with some of its most celebrated vistas. The two lakes meet at the Lombardsbrücke and Kennedybrücke (Lombard and Kennedy bridges). The boat landing at the Jungfernstieg, below the Alsterpavillon, is the starting point for lake and canal cruises. Small sailboats and rowboats, hired from yards on the shores of the Alster, are very much a part of the summer scene.
Every Hamburger dreams of living within sight of the Alster, but only the wealthiest can afford it. Those that can't still have plenty of opportunities to enjoy the waterfront, however, and the outer Alster is ringed by 7 km (4.3 mi) of tree-lined public pathways. Popular among joggers, these paths are also a lovely place for a stroll.
- Address: Altstadt, Hamburg
- Subway: Jungfernstieg (U-bahn)
- Location: Altstadt
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
3 days spent in Berlin before starting Germany tour . . . trip report has pictures but they don't seem to copy and paste into the repo... Read more
During May, my husband and I went to Germany and Switzerland for our 5th wedding anniversary. We left on 5/14 and flew home on 5/23. ... Read more
In early September, my boyfriend and I are doing two weeks in Europe, and we'd love some help maximizing our time in each city. I've spel... Read more