- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Alster Lakes Review
The twin lakes of the Binnenalster (Inner Alster) and Aussenalster (Outer Alster) provide Hamburg with some of its most celebrated vistas. The two lakes meet at the Lombardsbrücke and Kennedybrücke (Lombard and Kennedy bridges). The boat landing at the Jungfernstieg, below the Alsterpavillon, is the starting point for lake and canal cruises. Small sailboats and rowboats, hired from yards on the shores of the Alster, are very much a part of the summer scene.
Every Hamburger dreams of living within sight of the Alster, but only the wealthiest can afford it. Those that can't still have plenty of opportunities to enjoy the waterfront, however, and the outer Alster is ringed by 7 km (4.3 mi) of tree-lined public pathways. Popular among joggers, these paths are also a lovely place for a stroll.
- Address: Altstadt, Hamburg
- U-bahn: Jungfernstieg (U-bahn).
- Location: Downtown Hamburg
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Two farm kid high school sweethearts celebrate 35 years of marriage in Europe. Read more
I attended the opening of the Nuremberg Christkindlsmarkt yesterday evening. Read more
Will the Eurail Global Pass the only pass I need to travel in Europe. Read more
· News & Features
This new museum and family research center tells the fascinating story of German emigration to the United... Read more
If you’re considering a European getaway to a city where biking everywhere is the norm, digging... Read more