- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
This museum and family-research center tells the fascinating story of European emigration to the United States and elsewhere. The museum is on a peninsula where in the late 19th century the HAPAG shipping line began construction of a complex for passengers from across Europe who came to Hamburg to embark on trans-Atlantic ships; it was completed in 1907.
When they landed in the United States, immigrants were subjected to thorough physical examinations. Those who were deemed sick were quarantined for weeks or returned to their home country. To reduce the likelihood of trouble, HAPAG began examining passengers before they left Hamburg for new shores. During the first 34 years of the 20th century, about 1.7 million people passed through emigration halls. Processing this many people took a long time. Hamburg officials did not want foreigners roaming the city. To accommodate visitors for several days or months, the shipping company built a town, complete with a hospital, church, music hall, housing, and hotels. The emigrant experience comes to life with detailed reproductions of the buildings (all but one was demolished); firsthand accounts of oppression in Europe, life in the "city," conditions during the 60-day Atlantic crossing, and life in their new home; authentic artifacts; and interactive displays.
As compelling as the exhibits are, the main draw is the research booths, where you can search the complete passenger lists of all ships that left the harbor. Research assistants are available to help locate and track your ancestors. From St. Pauli, the museum can be reached by S-bahn or Maritime Circle Line at St. Pauli Landungsbrücken No. 10.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Hamburg Savings! Book at Renaissance Hamburg Fr $203+/Nt Expedia
- Hamburg Savings! Book at AMEDIA Hamburg Fr $118+/Nt Save with Expedia, $12/night less
- Hot Deal on a 11 Nt Cruise! MSC Cruises Fr $1,499 Expedia
- Book 4-Star BEST WESTERN Queens Hamburg Fr $124+/Nt — $124 Save with Expedia, $13/night less
- Hot Deal on a 11 Nt Cruise! Cunard Line Fr $2,698 — $2,698 Expedia
Above is a blog that I hope will be entertaining and helpful to anyone who might be interested in backpacking across the continent. This is specifically for anyone who's Read more
We just returned from a relatively quick eight-day holiday break to Berlin, Dresden and Prague and are trying to get going on a trip report while things are still fresh in mind.
I’ve Read more
I've been daydreaming about Germany, and am trying to come up with a 3-4 day itinerary for a way future summer trip to the Rhine River region, assuming all public transportation (no car rental)
Day 1: Read more
· News & Features
This new museum and family research center tells the fascinating story of German emigration to the United... Read more
If you’re considering a European getaway to a city where biking everywhere is the norm, digging... Read more