- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Tierpark Hagenbeck (Hagenbeck Zoo)
Tierpark Hagenbeck (Hagenbeck Zoo) Review
One of the country's oldest and most popular zoos is family-owned. Founded in 1907, it was the world's first zoo to let wild animals such as lions, elephants, chimpanzees, and others roam freely in vast, open-air corrals. In summer, you can ride a pony.
The Tropen-Aquarium sits on the same property as the zoo and a tour through it is like a trip around the world. Sea life, insects, curious reptiles, marvelous birds, and exotic mammals live in replicas of their natural habitat. Detailed re-creations of deserts, oceans, rain forests and jungles are home to birds, fish, mammals, insects, and reptiles from almost every continent, including a "Madagascar" village with black-tailed lemurs.
- Address: 2 Lokstedter Str. at Hamburg-Stellingen, Stellingen, Hamburg, 22527 | Map It
- Phone: 040/530-0330
- Cost: €17 for zoo, €14 for aquarium, €27 for zoo and aquarium
- Hours: Zoo: Mar.--June, Sept., and Oct., daily 9--6; July and Aug., daily 9--7; Nov.--Feb., daily 9--4:30. Aquarium: daily 9--6
- Website: www.hagenbeck.de
- U-bahn: Hagenbecks Tierpark (U-bahn).
- Location: Downtown Hamburg
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- May deal: Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall Fr $209+/Nt Save with Expedia, $89/night less
- Book 3 Nts in Hamburg this May Fr $119+/Nt Expedia
- Explore Europe with Royal Caribbean International Fr $1,051 Expedia
- Novum in May: $163 & Up — $163 Save with Expedia, $18/night less
- Hot Deal on a 10 Nt Cruise! Azamara Club Cruises Fr $3,599 — $3,599 Expedia
Above is a blog that I hope will be entertaining and helpful to anyone who might be interested in backpacking across the continent. This is specifically for anyone who's Read more
We just returned from a relatively quick eight-day holiday break to Berlin, Dresden and Prague and are trying to get going on a trip report while things are still fresh in mind.
I’ve Read more
What are some good daytrips (within 1.5-2 hours, preferably by public transit, but renting a car for a day would also be an option) from Munich that get you to an area with beautiful mountain scenery (with Read more
· News & Features
This new museum and family research center tells the fascinating story of German emigration to the United... Read more
If you’re considering a European getaway to a city where biking everywhere is the norm, digging... Read more