- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Tierpark Hagenbeck (Hagenbeck Zoo)
Tierpark Hagenbeck (Hagenbeck Zoo) Review
One of the country's oldest and most popular zoos, the Tierpark Hagenbeck was founded in 1907 and is family owned. It was the world's first zoo to let wild animals such as lions, elephants, chimpanzees, and others roam freely in vast, open-air corrals. In summer, you can ride a pony.
The Tropen-Aquarium, on the same property as the zoo, is like a trip around the world. Sealife, insects, curious reptiles, marvelous birds, and exotic mammals live in replicas of their natural habitat. Detailed re-creations of deserts, oceans, rain forests, and jungles are home to birds, fish, mammals, insects, and reptiles from almost every continent, including black-tailed lemurs living in a "Madagascar" village.
- Address: Lokstedter Grenzstr. 2, Stellingen, Hamburg, 22527 | Map It
- Phone: 040/530–0330
- Cost: €20 for zoo, €14 for aquarium, €30 for combination ticket
- Hours: Zoo: Mar.–June, Sept., and Oct., daily 9–6; July and Aug., daily 9–7; Nov.–Feb., daily 9–4:30. Aquarium: daily 9–6
- Website: www.hagenbeck.de
- U-bahn: Hagenbecks Tierpark (U-bahn).
- Location: Downtown Hamburg
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
I planned my trip using this forum and thought I should pay it forward and hopefully help someone else out there who is planning a trip. Read more
Our 40th Anniversary Trip to Germany-Vienna: Part 3, Trains
We used the Deutche Bahn (DB) rail system throughout our vacation. Read more
Here are my pix from our recent trip to Dresden. Read more
· News & Features
This new museum and family research center tells the fascinating story of German emigration to the United ... Read more
If you’re considering a European getaway to a city where biking everywhere is the norm, digging... Read more