- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Landungsbrücken (Piers) Review
Hamburgers and tourists flock to the city's impressive port (Germany's largest) to marvel at the huge container and cruise ships gliding past, pick up maritime-themed gifts from souvenir stores, and treat themselves to something from the many snack- and ice-cream stands. It's best to take a tour to get a complete idea of the massive scale of the place, which is one of the most modern and efficient harbors in the world. Barge tours leave from the main passenger terminal, along with a whole range of ferries and boats heading to other destinations on the Elbe and in the North Sea. There's frequently a breeze here, so it's worth packing something warm, particularly if you're planning on taking an open-top harbor tour.
Rickmer Rickmers. This majestic 19th-century sailing ship once traveled as far as Cape Town. Now it's permanently docked at Hamburg's piers, where it serves as a museum and site for exhibitons and readings. St. Pauli Landungsbrücken Ponton 1a, 20359. 040/319–5959. www.rickmer-rickmers.de. €4. Sun.–Thurs. 10–6, Fri. and Sat. 10–8. U-bahn: Landungsbrücken (U-bahn).
Cap San Diego. Close to the Rickmer Rickmers ship at Hamburg's piers sits the Cap San Diego, a seaworthy museum and hotel. Before it docked at Hamburg permanently, it regularly sailed between Germany and South America. Überseebrücke, Landungsbrücken, 20459. 040/364–209. www.capsandiego.de. Cap San Diego €7. Daily 10–6. U-bahn: Landungsbrücken U-bahn.
- Address: Bei den St. Pauli Landungsbrücken, St. Pauli, Hamburg, 20359
- Phone: 040/3005–1300
- U-bahn: Landungsbrücken (U-bahn and S-bahn).
- Location: St. Pauli and the Reeperbahn
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Two farm kid high school sweethearts celebrate 35 years of marriage in Europe. Read more
I attended the opening of the Nuremberg Christkindlsmarkt yesterday evening. Read more
Is it customary to leave a gratuity for the chambermaids in Europe? Read more
· News & Features
This new museum and family research center tells the fascinating story of German emigration to the United... Read more
If you’re considering a European getaway to a city where biking everywhere is the norm, digging... Read more