- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Downtown was heavily bombarded during World War II, so many of the buildings here were constructed after the war, but many redbrick historic 19th-century warehouses, city mansions, and historic landmarks have been restored to their old splendor and now house banks, insurance companies, and other big businesses. The city's heart is centered on two long boulevards, the Jungfernstieg and Mönckebergstrasse. Downtown may not be the most beautiful part of town, but its atmosphere is invigorating.
Downtown Hamburg at a Glance
- Alster Lakes
- Bucerius Kunst Forum
- Hamburg Hauptbahnhof (Main Train Station)
- Hamburger Kunsthalle (Art Gallery)
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's