Biking in Hamburg
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Almost all sidewalks have a dark patch close to the street. This path is reserved for bicycles. Some of the major hotels will lend their guests bikes. With its StadtRAD program, Hamburg joined Paris and other major cities in offering rental bicycles in locations across the city. These red-framed bicycles can be found at the Hauptbahnhof, large subway stations, and popular tourist spots. Bikes are free for the first 30 minutes, and then rent for 4¢ a minute for the next 30. It's 8¢ per minute after that but the maximum daily rental is €12. When you're done with the bike, leave it at an authorized location. For more information and to register, visit www.stadtradhamburg.de.
Hamburg City Cycles. From a central location, this friendly little outfit rents bikes and also offers guided tours and day trips to destinations that are farther afield. Bernhard-Nocht-Str. 89-91, St. Pauli, Hamburg, 20359. 040/7421-4420. www.hhcitycycles.de.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's