- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Apple Wine Express Tour
The one-hour Apple Wine Express (Ebbelwei Express) tour in a vintage streetcar is offered hourly weekends and some holidays. It gives you a quick look at the city's neighborhoods, a bit of Frankfurt history, and a chance to sample Apfelwein (a bottle, along with pretzels, is included in the €6 fare).
Ebbelwei Express (069/213–22425. www.ebbelwei-express.com.)
Day trips on the Main River and Rhine excursions run from April through October and leave from the Frankfurt Mainkai am Eiserner Steg, just south of the Römer complex. The boats are available for private parties, too.
Frankfurt Personenschiffahrt Primus-Linie (Mainkai 36, Altstadt, Frankfurt, 60311. 069/1338370. www.primus-linie.de.)
Two-hour city bus tours with English-speaking guides are offered by the Frankfurt Tourist Office throughout the year.
On some Sundays, the Historische Eisenbahn Frankfurt runs a vintage steam train with a buffet car along the banks of the Main. The train runs from the Eiserner Steg bridge west to Frankfurt-Griesham and east to Frankfurt-Mainkur. The fare is €12.
The tourist office's walking tours cover a variety of topics, including Goethe, Jewish history, apple wine, architecture, and banking. Tours can also be tailored to your interests. For an English-speaking guide, the group tour cost is €117.60 for up to two hours and prices vary depending on the type of tour.
Tourismus und Congress GmbH Frankfurt/Main (069/2123–8800. www.frankfurt-tourismus.de.)
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe