- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
The old quarter of Sachsenhausen, on the south bank of the Main River, has been sensitively preserved, and its cobblestone streets, half-timber houses, and beer gardens make it a popular area to stroll. Sachsenhausen's two big attractions are the Museumufer (Museum Riverbank), which has nine museums almost next door to one another and offers beautiful views of the Frankfurt skyline, as well as the famous Apfelwein (apple wine or cider) taverns around the Rittergasse pedestrian area. You can eat well—and quite reasonably so—in these small establishments.
Sachsenhausen at a Glance
- Deutsches Architekturmuseum
- Deutsches Filmmuseum (German Film Museum)
- Museum für Angewandte Kunst (Museum of Applied Arts)
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's